Due to unprecedented demand, we are unable to accept any additional membership applications for our 2023 season. However, we have reserved spaces for potential members from the local community (zip code 11236). To inquire about community memberships or to be put on a waiting list for 2024, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Canoe Association’s Atlantic Division maintains a list of other paddling clubs in the greater New York City area, many of which offer public programs.
Look for our Open House events in the summer of 2023 for a chance to tour the club, get out on the water, and meet our members!
We appreciate your interest in Sebago. We welcome all those interested in kayaking, canoeing and sailing, from novice to expert, as well as those interested in rowing and racing. We are a recreational co-op and expect all members to contribute 15 hours of volunteer work to support club activities and maintain our grounds and equipment.
We offer group paddles as well as introductory coaching to all our members, though we do not have volunteer capacity to offer comprehensive training. We expect that all members will develop the proficiency to paddle independently and will seek out additional training through the American Canoe Association or other accredited instructional programs. Membership are entitled to use club equipment (sailboats require certification) when participating in a club sanctioned group activity. Boat storage is available, as space allows, for active club members in good standing.
Sebago’s kayak paddles and classes are not appropriate for children under 16. A parent must accompany all minors during club activities.
Please explore our website for additional information about Sebago. We suggest you check out calendar for the range of club activities. You may also want to check the kayaking, sailing, canoeing, rowing, and racing sections of our website and contact the chairs of those committees. (Be sure to review the sailing page if you are particularly interested in sailing.*)
You are welcome to come to the Sebago Canoe Club any Saturday or Sunday from Memorial Day through Labor Day between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. to take a tour of the facilities. There is always an “officer of the day” on site to show you the grounds and answer questions.
Join us for one on our monthly Open House events during the summer of 2023. Prior reservations only.
Review the membership details and fees below.
1. To join, prospective members must come to Sebago Canoe Club to sign up. Please review the membership information below. Contact email@example.com for available sign-up times.
|Fee Schedule: see below in Section 5
|Individual, 18 and over
Family memberships consist of two adults and children 16-18 (or 22 if full-time student) living at the same address. Most of our activities are limited to those 16 and older. Younger children are welcome to join family activities, but do not consider a family membership with the expectation of family boating opportunities.
The calendar year at Sebago runs from 10/1 to 9/31. Annual membership renewals are sent by 10/15 of each year.
Sebago Canoe Club is a Paddle America Club (PAC) member of the American Canoe Association (ACA). All members are strongly encourage to join the ACA, which costs $40 a year. The ACA has a long history of advocating for human-powered boating.
Sebago Canoe Club maintains a cabin on the ACA grounds at Lake Sebago in Harriman State Park. If you wish to use the Sebago cabin, you MUST have a current ACA membership.
2. Upon joining Sebago, members are granted Conditional status with limited privileges for a probationary period of at least a year.
3. Sebago Canoe Club is an all-volunteer club and members are required to contribute a minimum of 15 work-hours annually. To assist members in finding eligible tasks, jobs are regularly announced on the club email list, or a member may contact the Commodore or Vice Commodore for onsite or remote assignments. To receive credit for volunteer hours, all tasks must be logged in club workbook.
Members who fail to meet the above work-hour requirements will be assessed additional fees upon renewal as follows: More than 7.5 hours completed but less than 15 hours: $75.00. Less than 7.5 hours: $150.00
The Board of Directors may grant work-hour exemptions for such reasons as health, age or distance.
4. All members agree to read and to comply with Sebago’s Operating and Safety Rules and the information outlined in the Membership Handbook. These two documents must be read BEFORE participating in any club activities.
5. Self-storage for kayaks, canoes, rowing shells and sailboats is available for an additional fee, subject to availability and the approval of the appropriate Committee Chair or their designee. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
|INSIDE (and sailboat) STORAGE SPACE:
|1 slot: $125
|1 slot: $75
|2 slots: $275 ($150 increment)
|2 slots: $175 ($100 increment)
|3 slots: $450 ($175 increment)
|3 slots: $300 ($125 increment)
Boat storage is not guaranteed.
Join the SCC Members Only email list.
For additional questions, submit an inquiry through our contact form:
*If you are interested in sailing at Sebago, please review the sailing page of our website to get an idea of the scope of our program and the scheduled activities. We like to meet and interview any potential sailing member, schedule a time for you to visit the club, tour the facilities, speak to a sailing representative, and see if our program is right for you BEFORE YOU JOIN the club. Contact email@example.com for questions and to schedule a tour.