Summer 2023 Open Houses will be announced in the Spring.
2022 Summer Open Houses
On three Saturdays this summer — July 16, August 13, and September 10 — Sebago will host open houses for neighborhood residents and the general public. In addition to touring the grounds and meeting club members, visitors will be able to join short paddling or rowing excursions on the protected waters of Paerdegat Basin.
The Basin is our home waterway and an ideal jumping off point for exploring the rest of Jamaica Bay, a unique urban wildlife refuge. A complex network of open water, salt marsh, grasslands, maritime shrublands, and coastal woodlands, the Bay is home to a multitude of brackish and freshwater communities. Its temporary and permanent residents include more than 90 species of fish and, because it is a critical stopover area along the Eastern Flyway avian migration route, an amazing 325 bird species.
Our open houses are intended to showcase the ecological richness of the bay as well as its vast recreational potential, especially for human-powered boating. We want to share both things with our neighbors and fellow city residents, and hope that at least some will consider joining us as club members.
2022 Open House Dates and Times:
Tickets Go on Sale as Early as June 19th! Click Below for Reminders So You Don’t Miss Your Chance to Get Out There and Paddle!
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (arrive by 1 pm if you want to get on the water).
- Saturday, July 16, 2022 – Click here to RSVP!
- Saturday, August 13, 2022 – Click here to RSVP!
- Saturday, September 10, 2022 – Click here to RSVP!
How to reserve:
Advance tickets are strongly recommended and require a $5 deposit, refundable upon arrival. Ticketing opens four weeks before the event; sign up here. Limited space will be held for walk-ins.
- Guided group outings led by trip leaders in kayaks, canoes and rowing gigs will last approximately 30 minutes.
- All participants must sign a waiver on the day of the event. All minors (under 18s) must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Participants must be 16 or older to use single-occupancy kayaks. Minors of any age may board other vessels, provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Participants are expected to help carry boats to and from the dock and should be comfortable sitting and paddling for at least 30 minutes
- Gates open at 10 a.m. Last trip sign up is 1:30 p.m.
For your safety:
- Properly fitted life jackets (PFDs) must be worn.
- Trip leaders are responsible for group safety and may exclude any individual as they see fit. Participants agree to comply with all directives and requests from the leader.
- Competent swimming skills are encouraged; you should at a minimum be comfortable in the water. The boats used are suitable for beginners but there is always a chance of falling into the water.
- Please inform the Trip Leader BEFORE you leave the dock if you have any health or safety concerns.
For your enjoyment:
- Wear sneakers and clothes that can get wet and will dry quickly. NO COTTON. Due to the pandemic, no changing facilities are available.
- Bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, a bottle of water and an energy snack.
- Please leave your valuables at home. Sebago cannot be responsible for lost items.
- Electronics (eg, phones) and salt water don’t mix very well. If you want to take pictures make sure you have a waterproof case.
- Click here for Directions by car or public transportation.
- Free street parking is available; parking on club grounds is for members only.
If you have any questions that were not addressed here, please contact us.